Toxic Foods for Dogs: What to Avoid
We have all been there when those doggy eyes are staring up at us from underneath the kitchen table, so we slide a little bit of chicken or potatoes over to our furry friend! But you may be surprised to know that many of the foods humans eat aren’t good for your dog’s health. At Doggy Brace, we want to be sure you are aware of the most toxic foods for dogs to avoid. Some of these foods can mean life or death for your beloved furry friend.
1. Chocolate, coffee, tea
Each of these items is known to cause nervous system damage and heart damage to your dog. Coffee, tea, and chocolate tend to be in more foods than you realize, so you want to be sure that no matter what you avoid giving your dogs these foods. Avoid chocolate milk, different icings, and cacao powder. Symptoms of your dog having ingested these types of foods include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and seizures. If you feel as though your dog may have eaten these foods take them to the vet immediately.
2. Citrus foods
This one may surprise you, but citrus foods contain citric acid and essential oils that can lead to an upset stomach. While this isn’t the most dangerous in small amounts it can lead to an upset stomach. However, if ingested in large amounts citrus foods can cause damage to the central nervous system and possibly depression.
Many nuts such as pecans, almonds, macadamia, and walnuts contain high amounts of fats and oils. Certain nuts can also lead to bladder stones, pancreatic issues, and depression. Symptoms will include vomiting, diarrhea, and potential depression.
Avocados can be an extremely toxic food for dogs. This can lead to cardiovascular issues within dogs, and other animals, as well as fluid accumulation within the lungs. You want to be sure when getting rid of avocados your dog can’t reach any part of it, the ajcet, pit, or fruit, when you toss it into the trash can.
5. Grapes and raisins
While it isn’t fully understood yet why grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs we are aware that they can cause serious health issues. They can lead to kidney failure and a potential stomach pump. If you see that your dog has consumed any grapes or raisins call your vet immediately.
Alcohol can lead to very serious problems within dogs. Any foods and beverages that contain alcohol can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, depression, loss of coordination, and seizures. If you think your dog may have ingested alcohol in any form contact your veterinarian immediately.
One of the most toxic foods to animals is Xylitol. A sweetener found in many foods including gum, baked goods, candy, toothpaste, and peanut butter, this ingredient can lead to kidney failure. Symptoms of xylitol ingestion include vomiting, loss of coordination, and lethargy. More severe cases can lead to seizures and liver failure within a few days.
If you suspect that your dog has ingested any of the above toxic foods call your veterinarian immediately. They will be able to tell you if the dog is able to pass the food on its own or requires immediate medical attention. Always be aware of what your dog has in their mouth and what is in the garbage can for easy access. We know that pet owners love to let those begging dog eyes try new foods, but be sure that they are safe for your dog to consume!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE More From Author
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.